Last week I officially finished decorating my classroom. It definitely doesn’t look like any classroom would in the United States, but I’m proud of it. I set up a reading center in the corner of my classroom, now I only need books to read to my students! I brought a small selection of books (about 15), so we’ll see how long that lasts me. The school doesn’t have a library, so my options are very limited. Wish there was a place where they sold children books…ahh in my dreams.
My reading corner
Now onto lesson planning this week. The school in La Union is extremely poor so when it comes to buying curriculum we usually get the leftovers or donations from churches. In my classroom there is a curriculum to follow, which we are told we cannot waver from, but the set is not complete. It shows you what lessons to teach on which days, but the lessons tell me to refer to other books…which I don’t have. For example for my phonics lesson it tells me to use all of these charts and other books. It tells me the page number and everything which is very nice, except I don’t have those charts or books. I don’t even know what they consist of..so I can’t even begin to guess what I’m supposed to be teaching my students. As of right now I’m thinking I’ll have to make up my own curriculum for a few subjects since I don’t have it. I am teaching the 8th grade science, and I was told we don’t have any curriculum for it. Instead I can just look at the student textbook and hopefully make up some kind of lesson from that. This wouldn’t be so difficult if I had other resources such as the internet or library…but I don’t. That is false, we DO have internet at the school but there is limited time to use it.
Also the curriculum for the students is all in English at a third grade level, but the students are speaking English at a first grade level at best. I don’t know how they are going to be able to read the directions in their textbooks. I keep thinking of what my professors said before student teaching, “It seems impossible right now, but once you get started you’ll realize it is all ok. Your education has prepared you.” I reaaaaaaaaaaaallly hope the same is true for teaching at a bilingual school where there isn’t a full curriculum to base off of. I keep telling myself to rise above the frustration and get the work done. I really will need to lean on God for some strength! Definitely cannot do this on my own.
Tomorrow is Parent’s Orientation Night! All the parents will be introduced to me and my classroom. I have already met a couple of my student’s parents and they are the kindest people. I can tell they want to have a conversation with me but we don’t speak each other’s language. So far my favorite part about La Union is the community I’m surrounded by. Everyone is so generous and they all want to help. I am more than thankful to receive it! It is comforting knowing people are watching out for me. Gayle and I made friends with a man who owns a pulparia. For the past few days we have gotten free bananas from him. :) With a little bit of work on my Spanish, a little bit of love, and a little bit of faith, by the end of the year I may have some amazing friendships with the Hondurans. Can’t wait!
I wish I could send you some materials to help you out in your lesson planning. I think I will stop complaining about all the new curriculum I am trying to use here at CVC and start being grateful for our many resources. Praying for you. When do you start?
ReplyDeleteIrene Hooyer
Erin,
ReplyDeleteIt is so fun to hear about your "adventure" in Hondurus. I know you are going to be such a wonderful teacher to those kids and it is amazing how blessed we are where we live and all of the resources we have. I am praying for you and hope all goes well. I can't wait to read the next blog!
Kasondra
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteIm praying for you lots pretty :) Jealous of the views you get to see and I am excited to hear about the kids ... this will be fun; good luck with your spanish haha kidding of course. I just know all your kiddies are gna love you! Also if you ever need me to research something and right ya a little factual document about it let me know (since i have unlimited internet resoucese;) ) love and miss you girl!
ReplyDelete