I have made it! I am very safe and having an amazing experience so far. I arrived in Honduras on Tuesday morning. We didn’t arrive to our destination (Gracias) until 5 that evening. It was a long but beautiful bus ride. This country reminds me a lot of Guatemala (but safer mama don’t worry) so it doesn’t feel completely unfamiliar!
The first few days have been a little bit overwhelming. I don’t understand Spanish and I am definitely going to need it. Jake (the guy who administrates all the International teachers) keeps telling me that it’s great because then my students will be forced to speak English since I will have no idea what they are saying. Haha! He also told me he can’t wait for the first day because I am the first English teacher they have ever had so they will be staring at me in complete silence. Can’t wait!!!
Another reason it’s overwhelming is because I will not be living here in Gracias. On Saturday I am taking a 2 hour ride on a pot-hole filled road to my town, La Union. But most of the teachers that are in Gracias for orientation will be staying here. They are getting explained how to “use” the markets, what streets are safe, good places with good prices, when the bus picks them up for school, etc. None of it really applies to me—so here I am trying to understand everything when in just two days I will get thrown into an entirely new environment.
Even though there is a little bit of stress it is well worth it. This place is amazing! I keep thinking ‘do I really get to live here for a year? I’m blessed!’ I am ready to get into my hometown, especially since I found out where I will be living. I am going to live right next to the town’s park in a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom house with 1 other girl. Both of the bedrooms are master suites which will be very nice! Our house is supposedly fully furnished with couches, tables, and dressers. I bought my first purchase today for my house—a fan! I walked into the store San Fransisco, looked at the fans, told her I wanted one, paid her cash, and carried it out of the store. There are no “display items”. The items on the shelf are the exact items you take home! And I carried it 3 blocks down to my hotel. Quite a spectacle I’m sure. :)
Today we had orientation for school, and it will continue until tomorrow. If anyone is interested in getting involved with the school you can financially support some of my own students! It is $50.00 a month. Something very unique about this is I will be able to hand pick the student that you will be supporting and directly give you information about your child. If you are interested in this OR if you have already told me you would like to do this, please e-mail me at erin.vndyk@gmail.com to confirm it. I have deep appreciation for those of you who are supporting in this way. :) THANK-YOU!!
Sorry this is so long! I will update again soon once I am in La Union. I am a little sad to leave Gracias since I will be leaving my friend Kiley here and we’re not sure how often we will see each other. Please keep me in your prayers and know you ALL are in my thoughts daily.
No comments:
Post a Comment