Before I came here, I was fresh out of college. I was ready
to explore “grown-up” life. Little did I know, this “grown-up” year would be
much different than most of my fellow graduates. I was moving to a third-world
country; not only was a beginning an adult life, I was also starting my adult
life in a small mountain town in the middle of Honduras. Usually during your
first year in the real world there are quite a few lessons learned. I feel like
I have grown over this past year, especially since I’ve lived in an entirely
different culture. This “stuff” I’ve learned may be different than the “stuff”
I might have learned if I had lived in the United States this year. Without
further-to-do here are my top ten things:
1. Do not ever take modern conveniences for granted
Toasting bread in a toaster instead of on a frying pan,
having central heating/air conditioning, screens on windows to keep out the
bugs, garbage disposal to dump unwanted food, using a coffee brewer instead of
filtering it through a cloth bag, hot water, reliable source of electricity and
water, microwave, washing machines, …I could go on and on.
All the above I never thought twice about in the United
States; I would say they are all quite essential conveniences I used daily. It
wasn’t usual for me to wake up and think, ‘I
hope we have water in our house today’ or ‘I wonder if the electricity will come back on anytime soon’. In
fact, I don’t know if those thoughts have ever crossed my mind before living in
Honduras. How blessed am I? When I move back (in just 9 days) I think I’m going
to continually be surprised by all of the handy technology readily available
for me. Just the sight of a toaster is going to bring a smile to my face!!
2. Kids are kids, no matter where you are in the world
My students may not speak my native tongue perfectly, but
they have the same needs as students would back home. They still are in need of
love, guidance, education, and wisdom…wherever they are from in this big world.
My students love to have tickling wars, they beg to be spun around in circles,
they crave attention, a high five could motivate them for weeks, and any kind
of sticker will brighten their day!!
3. God is everywhere you go
Just because I’m in Honduras, a completely different world
than my home, in a place where my native tongue is not spoken, does not mean
God has ever left my side. He is always with me during the day, right next to
me in every situation. I see Him working in the lives of so many people in this
community. There are packed churches full of people with the Holy Spirit. It’s
refreshing to see people all over the world sharing one faith and love in Jesus
Christ.
4. You can’t save the world, but keep helping those in need
In my safe little bubble in the United States, it’s hard to
imagine that extreme poverty affects a large percentage of people in our world.
But now as I’m surrounded by poverty, I’m overwhelming with the amount of help
everyone needs. It can make you feel like you want to do everything in your
power to change the problem of poverty. The minute you calculate the amount of
communities, schools, families, and children suffering from poverty, helping
them seems impossible. Obviously I can’t help everyone, but there are little,
easy things I can do that may alter one person’s life. For example: supporting
a child’s education in La Union. Giving them this education will change their life
completely. And hopefully if I help them change their life, they’ll want to
give back and return the favor to other children.
5. Material wealth does not equal happiness
It is very obvious that people here do not have a lot of
material wealth. Half of my students live in houses with dirt floors. Most of
my students’ parents make about a dollar a day. Paying 5 dollars for a meal is
absolutely mind blowing. You would think they wouldn’t be happy, enthusiastic,
or excited about life. This could not be more opposite for most people in La
Union. My students are always smiling, always bringing joy to the classroom!! It
doesn’t break their heart that they need to share 3 sets of markers as a class,
that they need to use stones and leaves for checkers pieces, or that they have
2 other sets of clothing besides their school uniform.
Yes, they may not live as comfortable as we do in our
lazy-boy recliners in the U.S., but they are still happy. They still have
reason to give praise to God for the life they were given. And that is
something to admire.
6. Praise God in all situations
This year God has thrown me into some pretty difficult
situations. There have been times when I’ve thought, ‘I did NOT sign up for this’. My morning devotionals this year
focused so much on trusting God and praising Him, no matter what. No matter
what kind of day comes my way, whatever situation I may get myself into, I need
to keep reminding myself to praise God through the good and the bad. He will
get you through the impossible, just trust!!
7. Education is an empowering privilege
While growing up I never thought I was lucky for going to a
school; a school that had teachers who cared and a curriculum that would
enhance my learning. I never realized how privileged I was to receive that
education. Not everyone attends schools, GOOD schools, as easily as I have.
There are children all over this world that are starving for knowledge, but
there is no one to willing or qualified to teach them. Education changes people’s
lives. Education can change poverty. Education can build up countries. It is a
basic necessity that (in a perfect world) everyone should be offered. And those
who do receive it should realize it is a precious gift, and we should be
eternally grateful for it.
8. Always be an example of Christ, you never know who is
watching
Living as an American in a small Honduran village, its
apparent people are watching. I know there are people in the town always
observing Gayle and me on every adventure we go through…but not always have I
realized how closely they are watching our actions. A few weeks ago one of
Gayle’s students told me, “My neighbor said to me that you and Miss Gayle are
always happy and you are always laughing together.” Which is completely
true...we usually are laughing and smiling at the craziness of our day. But it
struck me that people are watching all of our actions, all day every day. They
watch how we respond to the crude whistling men on the street, they see how we
interact with our students on the street, how we act when rain is pouring down
on us (without umbrellas), when a driver splashes us in mud, when we get stuck
in mud holes, when we purchase items at the pulparia, and most importantly they
remember how we react in all of
these situations. I can only hope that all of them could see Christ living in
our hearts this year, and that we represented Him in everything that we did.
9. Respect other cultures
When I first came to Honduras I thought I had moved to a
whole new world. This culture is not even close to being similar to my own. But
over the year I have gotten used to the many different customs. I am going to
miss kissing my friends cheeks whenever I greet them hello, I will miss leaving
my front door open whenever I’m home, I’ll miss cooking tortillas on the kumal
(oooh wait..my neighbors do that for me), I will miss being able to freely hug
and kiss my students cheeks without someone thinking I’m inappropriate. Maybe I
won’t miss being hissed at by the men on the street or the 5 o’clock wake up
and 8 o’clock bedtime; but I still have become accustomed to a Honduran
lifestyle and hopefully it will be part of me forever.
10. Never give up on a child
You need to have faith in your students! You cannot give up
on them, no matter how far they are trailing behind. At the beginning of the
year I was ready to give up on half of my class—they barely understood me when
I told them to sit down! But I had a little faith, I worked with them
constantly, and they improved beyond belief. My students went from
understanding 15% of what I said in the classroom to now understanding 85% of
what I say. Children need someone to believe in them, to give them a chance,
and you’ll be AMAZED at what they can do when given that!!
Here’s some ways I have not changed:
-I still prefer to live in a house that has hot water and
where there aren’t bugs that call my house their home.
-I’m horrid at games.. seriously it’s amazing how I can lose
every single time!
- I’m in the right profession; teaching is definitely my
life-long calling
- It takes a lot for me to get tired of children
- Inventive cooking should not be done by me…stick to a
recipe!!
- God still guides all of my life decisions
- Organization is my best friend (one I miss terribly)
- I love traveling
- The people God has placed in my life is what make it so
special!
Glad you had a great year, Erin! Glad I could somehow be a part of it through reading your blogs :) May God bless you in the years to come!!
ReplyDelete