I can’t believe it is almost time for me to move back to the
United States. I only have three more weeks left of teaching, three days of
packing, and then a plane ride sending me away. In some ways I feel as though I
blinked and this year was over. It’s a bittersweet time; on one hand I can’t
wait to see my family and friends, on the other hand I have to say goodbye to
my family and friends here...for awhile. I’m pretty positive I won’t live in La
Union again during my lifetime, so it is going to be hard to say goodbye. I
have been thinking about all of the things I am going to miss after I leave
this place…there are too many to count.
I am going to miss the breathtaking beauty of this place. I
live in one of the most beautiful places I have seen in my entire life. This
place is so unexpected…so untouched. I love walking out my front door and
seeing all the mountains that surround me. I literally live in the valley of
multiple mountains; when traveling into or out of La Union there are amazing
views that a picture or words cannot capture.
While La Union is the most beautiful, I have also been able
to travel around and see an abundance of God’s great creation. I am going to
miss being able to take weekend trips and see different parts of the world. I
have been blessed by living in Central America and being able to see all
different countries this year! Every place was beautiful and unique. I’m not
saying the United States isn’t beautiful…it’s just pretty great traveling to
different countries.
I am going to miss being challenged. Yes, I’ve been
challenged before in my life, but living in Honduras is a whole different kind
of challenge. There are issues I’ve had to deal with or overcome this year that
were completely foreign to me. I was forced to grow and expand my abilities,
which overall has been beneficial for me. Sometimes I think about when I move
back to the United States and how easy
it is going to be to simply ask a stranger a question. Whenever I picture
myself going into a store in the United States I immediately think of what
Spanish words I’m going to need…I forget how easy it will be to speak a
language I know. Overall this year has been a welcoming challenge I am thankful
to God to say I’ve accomplished.
I am going to miss being a part of a different culture than
mine. It’s an eye opening and humbling experience to live in a poverty-stricken
community. I have learned so much about the world in just a short year here. As
frustrated as I get sometimes, I do love that I live in a Spanish-speaking
culture. It is great for me to get out of my comfort zone and to learn how to
communicate in different ways. I am going to miss everyone’s generous attempts
to have conversations with me, and their patient smiles when I can’t think of
the correct verb-form. This especially holds true with my neighbors. They could
care less about our cultural differences—they love us more for it. Even though
there are many unspoken words between us, a smile can say a million things. I
have grown a deep love for them. It is hard for me to imagine my daily life
without the grandma poking her head in the door and bringing coffee with
cookies for our afternoon snack.
Speaking of coffee, ugh I’m going to miss that too!! The
coffee we get here literally comes from everyone’s farms that are only minutes
away. It is so fresh, so delicious, and soul soothing. I have been spoiled with
a supply of quality (and did I say free?) coffee all year! My morning cup of
Joe won’t be the same next year…
The family of teachers will be missed. I was so blessed to
have amazing Honduran teachers who are
supportive and willing to help in any
way possible. They are so kind and amazing examples of Christ’s love. As my
teaching career grows, I can only hope to be such a hospitable teacher as the
teachers at ALCS. It’s also hard for me to imagine my life without my fellow
American teachers. We have all grown close throughout the year. I will miss our
daily walks to the school, even though sometimes they are filled with sleepy
smiles and morning yawns. I will miss Jacob’s pure-heart, Jake’s sarcasm, Anna’s
daily news from her iPod, Heather’s venting sessions, and Eleanor’s pure joy
for life.
Oh yeah, and then there is Gayle. I could probably write a
whole blog on everything I’ll miss about this girl. I cannot believe how
perfectly my prayers were answered. God
had a plan for both of us. This girl has become more than just an amazing
friend, she feels like a sister to me. It is hard to be excited to leave when I
know I won’t be living with Gayle again next year. We have shared every high,
every tough time, and every laugh together since August. I barely spend an hour
apart from her (besides teaching) every single day. We are together from the
minute we wake up until the minute we go to bed. Sometimes we even pull our
beds into each other’s rooms and have sleepovers! That’s a lot of time with one
person, and I’ve enjoyed every moment. She is always positive, always happy,
and always caring. I am going to miss sharing my life with her!
One of the biggest things I’m going to miss about my life
here is cooking with Gayle. I always look forward to that time of day, because
it’s always an adventure. You never know what is going to happen in our
kitchen; whether it be a dead chicken flopping around, mud coming out of our
kitchen faucet, cutting vegetables by flashlight, creating thousands of soups,
trying to figure out the best way to cut an avocado, or even exploding plastic
coffee pots on our stove. Gayle and I have become quite creative with the limited
supplies that are available. Not only do we cook together, this is also a time
where Gayle and I talk about our past with each other. We have shared things
about our family, college experiences, and most importantly discussed our
faith. I have been blessed to have such a strong Christian friend to keep me
growing throughout this year.
Thankfully, I know I’ll see Gayle in the United States. It’s
high on my priority list, and I know it’s on hers as well. We will see each
other soon. Although, I can’t say the same about my students; it’s hard for me
to write this next piece without choking up. I can’t even express how much I am
going to miss each and every single one of them. My heart feels heavy whenever
I think of saying goodbye. I can’t even imagine what kind of mess I’m going to
be on the last day of school, they are going to have to mop up my tears.
I’m going to miss walking out of my house and hearing a
child say, “Hi Miss Van Dyke!! Hi!! Hello!!” My students are everywhere I go,
and I love seeing them all throughout the town. I’m going to miss the proud
looks the parents give their children when they are speaking in English with
me. I’m going to miss my students walking up to me with their arms wide open
and simply saying, “hug”. I’m going to miss our attempts at getting past the
language barrier, and the laughs it brings. I can’t imagine not kissing their
cheeks and hugging them goodbye at the end of the school day, my arms are going
to feel empty. I’m going to miss their hands that lace through mine while we
walk through the hallways. Their sparkling eyes when they remember an answer or
a challenging English word, their absolute ADD craziness at the end of the week,
the desire to make me proud, the innocent joy that new markers bring, their a
cappella voices singing praises to God, and their beaming faces when I give
encouraging words.
I know every teacher’s first class is always a special one,
but these students will always be extra special in my heart. I will always
carry a piece of them wherever I go, and I can only hope a piece of me goes
with them as well. This class has made my passion for teaching even stronger
and my love for children even more apparent. I love them all and absolutely
dread saying goodbye. On Friday Carlos wrapped his arms around me and asked,
“Can you take me to the United States with you?” My eyes teared up as I told
him no. His shoulders dropped, his eyes looked down, and he said, “I want to go
with you.” I want to tell him and all the rest of my students to stuff
themselves into my suitcases, anything to avoid saying goodbye.
To be honest, it is a good thing I have so many things I am
going to miss about this place. I’m happy it is going to be a difficult
goodbye. It only means it was that special of a year, and it had a wonderful
impact on my life. I’m glad I’m going to cry my eyes out; it only shows how
much love I have for everyone here. I know I will meet new amazing co-workers,
new great friends, a new community, new students…but nothing will take the
place of La Union. Everyone and everything here will be forever missed.
No comments:
Post a Comment