I have been struggling for, well, over a month on how to write a good-bye blog post. Every time I tried to find the words, I came up short. It is difficult for me to believe my year is over. The other day I was reading through my journal that I kept in Honduras. I came to my last entry, written on the plane ride home. It is the goodbye I was looking for. I hadn't planned on sharing this on my blog, but writing another goodbye is too hard.
Before sharing, I want to thank EVERYONE for all the support, prayers, concerns, and love over this past year. It will truly be a year I will never forget; knowing all of you were there for me made it that much more special.
June 14, 2012
I am on my plane ride home. I can't even believe it. The last few weeks have been a whirlwind of events. First off, God is incredible and always has a plan. I am teaching at Hanford Christian next year, living in Visalia. I'm so thankful he has provided me with a job- He is amazing. And even better, I am about to be reunited with my family for good.
That being said, I feel so sad today. I wanted to shout "STOP!! Let me off!!" as the wheels lifted off the ground. Living in the United States is going to be so different. I keep praying I'm just as needed there as I am in Honduras...
I can't believe I said goodbye to them all. All I can picture is Eleanor holding my little Nohelia in the street while she cries for me, so upset that I left her. I can't believe I won't see my students for a long while...ooooh their precious faces will be in my mind for a long time.
I can't believe all my fellow teachers are no longer in my life. They have all changed me for the better this year. And Gayle--I keep thinking its going to be difficult to find a friendship like that again. She is truly special.
I've been so blessed this year- ABUNDANTLY blessed. I was given the most incredible experience of a lifetime. I keep thinking "When can I go back??" If I'm already thinking that I can't imagine what it will be like when I get back to the U.S. And it frustrates me thinking that no one is going understand my emotion, it is an unexplainable feeling.
I feel numb-shocked that this day is already here. I have felt this way for the past few weeks. It was so difficult to play and be excited with my students when I kept thinking 'I have to leave them behind.' Who is now going to give them that special love they so desperately need?
It's so tricky, for so long, all I wanted was my family close by and modern conveniences at my reach. But right now, all I want are my students' arms wrapped around my waist....
I can't lie, this past week was a complete disorganized MESS.. I wanted to rip my hair out! So many papers and legal documents to write up, recuperation tests---->BLAH
But all that frustration is not what I'm going to remember the most. I am going to remember barefoot Jicxon driving his big red bike around, Carlos mowing his grandmother's lawn with a machete, Any with her dog leash made out of weeds, Osman's house booming with music, the grandmother's caring heart always bringing us coffee, Liliana's side pony tail, Litzzy telling me daily 'You are crazy Miss', and Anthony's mad dance skills.
These are the things that will go with me wherever I go- always with my in my heart.
Last night one of the teachers wrote a song for us teachers that are leaving..the song was amazing. It talked about how people travel to our town La Union to teach--they come with love and a desire to educate the children. It goes on to talk about how we are going to part ways with the Hondurans. Some will leave laughing, and some will leave crying. But wherever we go in this big world, the people and town of La Union will always have a great love for us..
I get chills just thinking about this again. It's so true. What an amazing, blessed year.
Mostly this year has been great because God has been there with me every step of the way. And I know He will continue to be with me the rest of my life, in whatever my next journey is. I pray I can continue to grow and learn in this amazing life. I hope God continues to challenge me and expand my horizons.
My adventure of life isn't over, only a chapter is. I can't wait to see what else is in store. But over time, I will be revisiting this chapter ~ again and again..
Until then,
Erin Leigh
I have tears in my eyes. This was the PERFECT final post!
ReplyDelete